Apple TV users are in for a treat, with news this morning expanded Siri capabilities are coming to the platform.
Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, says the new capabilities, which include searching across more apps, YouTube search, topic search and tuning right into more live channels, customers can get to content faster.
“The future of TV is apps, and Siri on Apple TV has changed the way we interact with our television and these expanded features will continue to deliver viewers what they want to watch even faster,” says Cue.
“There are over 6,000 apps to enjoy on your Apple TV including over 1,300 video channels, which are even more fun to watch with the new Siri features,” he explains.
New Siri Features & Functionality
- Topic search for movies
- YouTube search
- Live tune-in: Ask Siri to go directly to a live channel inside a supported app, such as “Watch CBS News” or “Watch ESPN.”
- Manage HomeKit accessories: Apple TV gives users control of HomeKit-enabled accessories so you can ask Siri to “Turn on the lights” or “Set the temperature to 21 degrees.” Apple TV also allows users to control HomeKit accessories when they are away from home or use it for home automation with the Home app on their iOS device.
The Future of TV is Apps
The latest Apple TV was launched earlier this year, and there are over 6000 apps already available for Apple TV.
New tvOS APIs and tools available for developers include:
• ReplayKit to enable developers to record and live broadcast from their apps;
• PhotoKit to allow third-party app access to photos and videos in iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Shared Stream;
• HomeKit to create apps to control HomeKit devices from Apple TV;
• App badging on the Home screen, to make it easier for users to know something new for them is available inside an app; and,
• Game Center enhancements and support for up to four game controllers at a time.
Additional Apple TV Features and Updates:
• iOS users can download the new Apple TV Remote app with touch navigation, Siri and game play support.
• Apple Music has an all-new design. The Library, For You, Browse and Radio tabs have been completely redesigned and a Search tab has been added to make finding music easier.
• Photos for Apple TV now supports the new Memories feature.
• Users can select a dark background for Apple TV.
• Universal apps will now automatically download on Apple TV and show up on the Home screen when an app has been added to a user’s iOS device.
• When a keyboard appears on Apple TV, one will also appear on nearby iOS devices that are logged into the same iCloud account
The tvOS developer preview is available immediately for Developer Program members at developer.apple.com. The new tvOS will be available next Autumn as a free software update for Apple TV.
*Siri availability and functionality varies by country. Subscription required for some content.