On the back of EA’s recent announcement that it would shut down the online servers for some of its older titles, the publisher has now announced another round of newer titles that will join them.
Lord of the Rings: Conquest (released in January last year), Def Jam: Icon (released in March 2007) and The Simpsons (released in November 2007) are among the newest batch of titles that will no longer receive online support from March 16.
From April 15, Burnout 3: Takedown for Xbox and PS2, Madden NFL 09 for Xbox and Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox will be among another round of titles that will no longer receive online support. However, the Xbox titles included in EA's announcement are casualties of Microsoft’s closure of original Xbox online support in its entirety anyway.
EA justifies the decision by claiming that the total online communities for the titles they will no longer support constitutes a mere 0.3% of the entire user base of EA’s online servers.
The full list of games that will lose online support is as follows:
March 16, 2010
* Def Jam (PS3, Xbox 360)
* Godfather (PS3, Xbox 360)
* Lord of the Rings: Conquest (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)
* Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (PC)
* Need for Speed: Carbon (PSP)
* Need for Speed: ProStreet (PSP)
* The Simpsons (PS3, Xbox 360)
April 15, 2010
* Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)
* Army of Two (PS3 - Asia Only)
* Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (Xbox)
* Burnout 3: Takedown (Xbox)
* Madden NFL 09 (Xbox)