Use the following sites to shop around for the best plan, seek advice and even test your connection’s performance.
• Commerce Commission - tinyurl.com/ytpehm: The Commerce Commission provides quarterly reports on ISP broadband quality performance and key telecommunications statistics.
• New Zealand Connections - tinyurl.com/6pb8ty: An informative wiki that lists details of current residential phone and Internet packages in a table format for easy comparison.
• The National Broadband Map - tinyurl.com/dloolx: Details the existing broadband landscape in New Zealand using Google Maps. The National Broadband Map will show you exactly where certain networks are currently available – just select an ISP and locate your neighbourhood.
• Measurement Lab (M-Lab) - tinyurl.com/coy95h: M-Lab provides a set of diagnostic tools that allows you to test your connection speed, diagnose possible inhibitors to your speed and even test whether certain applications are being throttled or blocked.
• Geekzone forums– tinyurl.com/3xyeuu: Geekzone has dedicated forums for most major Internet service providers in the country, where users discuss the performance of their respective ISPs. Got questions about a particular ISP? You may just find what you’re after in this valuable resource.