FutureFive NZ - iPhone 5 kills Chinese bride-to-be

Warning: This story was published more than a year ago.

iPhone 5 kills Chinese bride-to-be

Apple has launched an urgent investigation after a Chinese woman died after allegedly being electrocuted while answering her charging iPhone 5.

After trying to answer an incoming call on her smartphone, bride-to-be Ma Ailun suffered an electric shock and was announced dead on arrival at hospital.

Reports coming from China's official state-run Xinhua news agency says the family of the victim is warning other users of the dangers of answering charging devices.

"(I) hope that Apple Inc. can give us an explanation," wrote Ailun's sister on the Chinese version of Twitter, Sina Weibo.

"I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging."

Following the tragedy, Apple China has launched an immediate enquiry into the death, vowing to investigate the handset thoroughly.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the family," a company statement read.

"We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter."

Taking 35 volts for a person to feel an electric shock, the average mobile phone's electrical output ranges between three and five volts. Yet a break in circuit could create a shock of up to 220 volts.

Previously employed as a flight attendant at China Southern Airlines, Ailun was planning to get married on August 8.

Is this just a tragic accident or a genuine fault? Tell us your thoughts below

Interested in this topic?
We can put you in touch with an expert.

Follow Us


next-story-thumb Scroll down to read: