Having Kobo pre-loaded on the tablet will give users access to Kobo’s store of more than 2.2 million books.
“We are thrilled to be extending our extensive relationship with RIM into the tablet space,” said Michael Serbinis, CEO of Kobo. “Readers will love the elegant design, crisp display and portable size and weight of the BlackBerry PlayBook, which is perfectly suited for long reading sessions. I am also excited by the possibilities of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, which will allow us to bring today’s bestsellers and classics, as well as other rich content, to BlackBerry PlayBook users.”
Key features of the Kobo eBook app:
- Integrated shopping. The Kobo store offers more than 2.2 million titles and the catalogue includes bestsellers, new releases and over 1 million free books. International stores feature region-specific content and pricing.
- Find books easily. Extensive categories and recommended reading lists help readers find their next great read.
- Choose library view. See your collection of books in a list, or on Kobo’s beautiful virtual bookshelf.
- Customisable reading options. Personalise text size, font and style. Switch between day and night reading mode or customize a specific brightness setting.
- Easy navigation. Tap to turn pages, scroll quickly through a book, or use the Table of Contents to jump between sections.
- Switch views. Kobo will automatically switch from landscape to portrait view as the BlackBerry PlayBook is turned.
- Read anywhere. Kobo also offers free reading applications for BlackBerry smartphones, computers and other devices, which all sync together across a user’s account. Kobo members can pick up and read on any device without ever losing their place.
- Open platform. Kobo supports open standards, including EPUB, PDF, allowing customers to buy once and read anywhere, or read free choosing from over 1 million free titles from Kobo or visiting public eBook libraries.
- Social shopping and shared eReading will be introduced upon availability of the BBM Social Platform.
You can find our original story on the PlayBook unveiling here