Sony has announced the release of the long awaited PlayStation app that will work alongside the PlayStation 4 console.
The app can be downloaded onto various mobile devices, such as iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android based smartphones and tablets, from the App Store and Google Play.
Once installed, these devices can be used as second screens in supported PlayStation 4 titles, and users can access PSN features such as Friend Lists and Trophies.
Furthermore, users will be able to exchange messages with members of their Friends List, and browse through news and information on the official PlayStation website. PlayStation app comes with a variety of features that allow users to access the world of PlayStation.
The following features are available on PlayStation App:
* Directly access various PSN features and information
* Users can access their own profile screen.
* Users can access/compare their own and friends’ Trophy accomplishments.
* Exchange messages between PS4 systems, PlayStation 3 systems, PlayStation Vita systems, and mobile devices installed with PlayStation App.
* Access and filter friend profiles.
* Notify users about their friends’ shared activities on “What’s New”.
* Notify PS4 users when they receive any new notifications or game invitations. Users can also display their lists of game items.
PS4 Second Screen Feature
Users can install PlayStation App on to their mobile devices to use as a second screen in supported games.
For example on THE PLAYROOM, a title pre-installed in all PS4 systems that requires PlayStation Camera, users can draw pictures on their mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.
View other PS4 users’ gameplay
When your friends upload or begin live streaming their gameplay on PS4 systems, the friends’ activities are displayed on “What’s New” of the PlayStation App screen.
When users tap on this notification, they can boot pre-installed applications, such as browsers, to spectate the uploaded gameplay. You can also post comments on gameplay screenshots, footage and live streams.
Purchase game content on PlayStation Store
You can purchase game content while away from home and download it directly onto your PS4, PS3, and PS Vita systems.
Use a mobile device as a simple remote to control the PS4 system
Once installed, you can use the PlayStation App to control your PS4 system as long as both devices have access to the same Wi-Fi access point. For example, you can switch your PS4 system to standby mode, startup your PS4 system from standby mode, and use your mobile phone as a keyboard for the PS4 system.
Is this app a useful addition to your PlayStation setup? Tell us your thoughts below