Star Wars: Jedi Challenges expands to the dark side
The Star Wars: Jedi Challenges augmented reality game now comes with an expansion pack that adds battles against Rey, Yoda, local multiplayer game content, and much more – but you need the right kit to play it.
The folks over at Lenovo and Disney launched Jedi Challenges to plenty of fanfare, so it shouldn’t be too surprising that they created all new gameplay experiences.
Star Wars: Jedi Challenges - Dark Side Expansion not only includes more AR Lightsaber duels, but also a new Ship Battles mode.
There’s a catch though: To play the Dark Side Expansion update, the full Star Wars: Jedi Challenges starter kit is required (sold separately), which includes the Lenovo Mirage AR headset, Lightsaber controller, and Tracking Beacon.
A compatible smartphone and the latest Jedi Challenges app, free to download on the App Store and Google Play, are also required.
Here’s an overview of the new experiences:
Star Wars: Jedi Challenges brings iconic Star Wars experiences to life through the power of AR. Offering more than 30 hours of multi-level immersive content, Jedi Challenges features multiple gameplay experiences:
● Lightsaber Battles: Perfect your Lightsaber skills by taking on some of the most menacing villains the dark side has to offer like Kylo Ren and Darth Vader, or battle new heroes like Rey and Yoda in the new Dark Side Expansion.
● Strategic Combat: Command forces against enemies in large-scale legendary ground wars.
● Holochess: Outwit your opponents in the ultimate game of concentration and strategy in the beloved Star Wars game that first appeared in Star Wars: A New Hope.
Players can command capital ships in space battles against opponents in real-time, local multiplayer matches. Ship Battles lets players take command of an Imperial Star Destroyer or Rebel Mon Calamari Cruiser, managing offensive and defensive manoeuvres in space combat.
Each ship contains four sections which players must manage and continually recalibrate, including turbolaser fire, defensive shields, deployment of ‘Power Up’ ships, and bomber runs.
The creators have also provided a few pointers to help players new to Star Wars: Jedi Challenges and the Dark Side Expansion:
Dark Side Expansion
● Defeating the strongest opponents in the galaxy will require the use of abilities such as Pull. Wait for Yoda to hurl rocks at you before activating this power - cancelling out his ability and pulling him closer for attack.
● Select the Second Wind passive ability so that when your opponent lands the final blow you’ll be able to fully heal yourself and grab a second chance to strike down your adversary.
● Prioritise Shielding and Communications sections to stay in the fight longer, or concentrate your attack strength on the Hangar Bay or turbolaser to blitz your opponent.
● In order to prevent turbolaser damage to your ship, when your opponent starts their bombing run, use the Support Call to begin your own bombing run.
● Learn to split your attack power throughout the game. At the start of your match, place two targets on the turbolasers and two on the Shielding section of the enemy’s ship. During the mid-late phase, focus three targets on the section with the least damage, and the fourth on the most damaged.
Pricing and Availability
The Star Wars: Jedi Challenges – Dark Side Expansion update is available now through the Star Wars: Jedi Challenges app as a free download on the App Store and Google Play.
The Star Wars: Jedi Challenges starter kit is available on jedichallenges.com and select local retailers (Noel Leeming, Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi, Lenovo and Disney).