Festive tear-jerkers top YouTube ad leaderboards
Google has unveiled its YouTube Ads Leaderboard for the first half of
2019, showcasing a list of top 10 video ads that captured Singaporeans' attention from January to June.
This half-yearly list demonstrates the creativity displayed by brands and agencies, and the success of these ad campaigns through experimentations with video formats in dynamic ways.
With over 85% of Singaporeans visiting YouTube monthly, brands and agencies are fully invested in adopting videos as their preferred digital canvas, producing attention-grabbing and engaging ads to earn and hold viewer attention.
Some themes observed from the leaderboard:
- Tapping into festivities to capture hearts. Telling emotional stories in tune with the aspirations and beliefs during the celebrations proved to be a recipe for success, as shown by Apple's cinematic Lunar New Year ad which shot to the top of the leaderboard. The value of keeping strong familial ties during the Holy Month of Ramadan were also illustrated through the Public Utilities Board's tear-jerker, Kinship (#4) and GovSingapore's Hari Raya with #HafandHaf (#10).
- Audiences paying more attention than before. Countering the narrative that audiences have short attention spans, 80% of the leaderboard comprises ads that crosses the 90 second mark. This includes the new subject-based banding by the Ministry of Education (#8), The Learning Lab 's moving stories of a child's life beyond grades (#7) and the Public Hygiene Council's methods to ‘spark joy' in a hawker centre (#9). Duration is no longer a limiting factor for content, but brands have to stay creative and authentic to keep viewers tuned in.
The ranking of ads in the leaderboard is determined by an algorithm that factors in organic and paid views, watch time, and audience retention.
YouTube Singapore Ad Leaderboard (Jan - June 2019)
10. GovSingapore - Hari Raya with #HafandHaf
9. Public Hygiene Council - How to Return your Tray | Mary Chongo
8. Ministry of Education - Explaining Full Subject-Based Banding
7. The Learning Lab - Tests
6. Singtel - GOMO Travel SIM
5. Republic of Singapore Navy - Rise With the Tide (Second Warrant Officer Rice Lim)
4. sgPUB - Kinship - PUB Hari Raya 2019
3. CPF Board - What happens to my CPF savings when I turn 55?
2. GovSingapore - Merdeka Sayang Full MV
1. Apple - Chinese New Year - The Bucket - Apple