iPad: The Daily goes daily
After a short delay, Rupert Murdoch's digital daily is now available via the US iTunes store.
It’s described as the first digital news publication with original content created every day exclusively for the iPad.
A yearly subscription costs US$39.99 but there’s also an option for a fortnightly sub for US$0.99.
There’s no word on if - or when - a localised version will be released in New Zealand. Apple has said that an announcement on subscription services for other publishers will be made soon.
“Built from scratch by a team of top journalists and designers, The Daily covers the world: breaking news, sports, pop culture, entertainment, apps, games, technology, opinion, celebrity gossip and more,” says News Corp.
The Daily includes:
- Over 100 pages of original content every single day of the year
- Original HD videos
- 360-degree photos you can explore by swiping
- Immersive photography
- Interactive charts, info-graphics and clickable hot spots
- Saving articles to read later
- Sharing Web-friendly versions of articles via Twitter, Facebook and e-mail
- Your favourite sports teams’ scores, news and photos
- In-app commenting — including audio comments
- Your local weather
- New crossword and sudoku puzzles every day
Update: According to Reuters, a prototype of Apple's next iPad was spotted at The Daily's unveiling in New York on Wednesday. The eyewitness said it looked like a working model of the next iPad with a front-facing camera at the top edge of the glass screen.
Fingers crossed someone left it at the buffet.