Borderlands 3 announces first DLC content; and Moxxi is the star
The first of Borderlands 3’s DLC content packs has dropped, with Moxxi's Heist of The Handsome Jackpot taking players on new adventures again.
Players will be familiar with sweet-talking Moxxi and her ‘cabaret’ outfit. In this story Moxxi sweet talks Vault Hunters (players) to take over a “derelict space station built by the infamous Handsome Jack back when he was still President of the Hyperion corporation”.
Yes, it’s a bit of a throwback to Borderlands 2 and the aftermath. [Spoiler alert: Don't read the next paragraph if you haven't played Borderlands 2 and plan to.]
“The Handsome Jackpot is quite possibly the gaudiest gambling spot in the galaxy, with neon signs, slot machines, and gold statues all over the place. It’s also crawling with multiple models of deadly Hyperion Loader Bots, as well as lunatic looters who’ve been trapped on board ever since Jack’s death.”
If players have reached at least level 13, you’re in good stead to take on the challenge. 2K Games says players at higher levels will be scaled up so they find it both a challenge, and powerful loot.
“In order to access this content, you'll need to have unlocked Sanctuary III, your space-faring home base that you reach at the end of the campaign’s prologue.”
Moxxi's Heist of The Handsome Jackpot also features:
- The chance to explore a glitzy new galaxy destination packed with unique zones worthy of Handsome Jack’s lavish lifestyle and dirty dealings;
- Players can join Moxxi’s crew of eccentric characters and pull off the ultimate casino heist in a series of thrilling campaign missions;
- Players will discover hidden secrets and strange happenings in The Handsome Jackpot via fresh side missions and Crew Challenges;
- Get a blast from Pandora’s past when you battle the Hyperion forces that outlived Handsome Jack, including never-before-seen enemies and larger-than-life bosses;
- Perfect your Vault Hunter’s gear loadout with all-new Legendary weapons and gear;
- Expand your collection of cosmetics with even more customization items, including Vault Hunter heads and skins, weapon trinkets, an ECHO Device skin, and new emotes.
There will be three more DLC packs over the coming months. If players purchased the Borderlands 3 Season Pass or Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe Edition, the DLC packs are included.
Players who purchased Borderlands 3 on its own will need to purchase the DLC packs, including Moxxi's Heist of The Handsome Jackpot.
But that’s not all – Borderlands 3 Bloody Harvest free content will expire on December 19, to be replaced by Takedown at the Maliwan Blacksite.
This, 2K games says, is a brand new raid-style challenge tuned for coordinated co-op parties of four max-level characters, with restricted respawning to make your opposition that much deadlier.
“The all-new Mayhem 4 puts a spin Mayhem Mode by removing all player penalties and instead applying just two random modifiers: one that applies a bonus to players and one that applies a bonus to enemies. It also offers its own exclusive batch of Legendary gear that will only drop while Mayhem 4 is enabled.”
The patch also includes changes such as:
- All bosses will now have dedicated loot pools so you can more efficiently farm for coveted Legendary items;
- Maximum Bank Space will be upgraded from 50 to 300 slots; as usual, SDUs that boost your bank size can be purchased from Marcus aboard Sanctuary III;
- A Target Dummy wearing a very familiar mask will be installed in Sanctuary III's shooting range so you can safely test out your weapons;
- New Vending Machines will be deployed across multiple maps;
- Players will notice overall UI performance improvements.
And finally, Gearbox is making some changes to Mayhem mode, which includes a long-term plan to overhaul Mayhem Mode with more UI support, new Mayhem Modifiers that change gameplay more dramatically, Mayhem playlists, new rewards, and additional levels of Mayhem to work through.
More information about the changes will be available in 2020.