Samsung has confirmed it is investigating a claim that one of its new Galaxy S III handsets spontaneously caught fire while sitting in an Irish user’s car mount.
The claim first appeared on Irish bulletin board site Boards.ie, with user ‘dillo2k10’ posting that he had been driving with the device in his car mount when ‘suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone’.
Amazingly, the phone kept working, although it wasn’t receiving a signal.
"The phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone,” he writes.
"That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed. Its (sic) very dangerous.”
The user later posted images of the device, showing burn marks around the bottom.
In an update on the company blog, Samsung confirms it is aware of the incident, ‘and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question’.
"We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously.”